If you observe something that is out of place or doesn’t seem right, WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU. Please contact us using the form at the bottom of this page. Your information will be kept confidential. If we send out a neighborhood watch notice, your personal information will NOT be shared. We do request a valid email in case any law enforcement officials wish to follow up.
WHEN TO REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY
When you observe anything that doesn’t “feel” right. Examples include:
- A stranger loitering in your neighborhood or a vehicle cruising the streets repeatedly.
- Someone peering into cars or windows.
- A high volume of traffic going to and coming from a home on a daily basis.
- Open or broken doors and windows at a closed business or unoccupied residence.
- Someone tampering with electrical, gas or sewer systems without an identifiable company vehicle or uniform.
- Persons arriving or leaving from homes or businesses at unusual hours.
- Multiple persons who appear to be working in unison and exhibiting suspicious behaviors.
- Signs of forced entry or tampering with security or safety systems.
NON EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD): (317) 327-3811
WHEN TO CALL 911
- Medical emergency (examples: chest pain, extreme shortness of breath, uncontrolled bleeding).
- Motor vehicle accident.
- When a life is in danger.
Community members only serve as the extra “eyes and ears” of law enforcement. We should report their observations of suspicious activities to law enforcement; however, citizens should never try to take action on those observations. Trained law enforcement should be the only ones ever to take action based on observations of suspicious activities.
- Location – where did it happen? What time of day? What day of the week?
- People – What do they look like? (height, weight, ethnicity, gender, etc.) How many are there? How are they acting? How many were there?
- Specific Items – What happened? Did you get a license plate?
- Routines – Did you notice any recurring patterns or routines? How often did they occur? Who was involved?